Skip to main content

Reasons To Choose a Book

I was having a duvet day; the first one in two years. I was feeling sorry for myself. Then my husband told me that a certain online bookstore was offering a £5 voucher if you spent over £25. Then I also remembered I had an unspent voucher with the same online store; a birthday present from my Dad.

💡

After ten minutes of salivating over loads of books, I narrowed my choice down to my favourite author, Margaret Atwood. Simple. I could pre-order her forthcoming sequel to The Handmaid’s Tale: The Testaments. BUT NO!!!!!! It wasn’t going to arrive until September! 😢

Right. I’ll look for another Margaret Atwood novel, I thought. It didn’t take me long. The Heart Goes Last – the story of a couple living destitute in their car, who are then offered a home in a new town. Great! But every second month they have to live in a prison. Fab! … I love a bit of dysfunctional society fiction.

Mmm … I then felt a pang for a bit of Scottish lit. I’d seen the 1998 film, Acid House, years ago and I remembered that it was based on the book of the same title by Irvine Welsh. This book is a series of short stories and flash fiction, some comical, some dark, and some dark and comical. Ideal to dip into when I’m on call for the Mum taxi service. Sorted.

At this point, I have to admit to two secrets: I love good teen fiction (probably more than my own teenager) AND I also love zombies.

So, my last book choice was Anna and the Apocalypse. The film from which the book is based on (other way round this time), depicts a group of teenagers who have to fight their way through a broken society full of zombies in order to rescue their friends and parents from an over zealous headteacher (while singing and dancing too). The screenplay was written by the late Scottish filmmaker Ryan McHenry, and also Alan McDonald. If you get a chance to see the film, do! It’s mint (as my teenager would say).

Update: the books have arrived. Now all I need to do is make time to read them. 🤔


Photo © Paula Gilfillan. All Rights Reserved.

Comments