Skip to main content

Clap


At a recent orchestral concert in Edinburgh with my family, I changed the way I applauded the musicians.

When I was 30, a boyfriend told me that I clapped ‘like a seal’. To keep the peace between us, I changed the way I clapped.

But he wasn’t the first emotionally abusive relationship I had been in. When I was 19, I thought I had met a mature and sophisticated 25 year old man. But as with all abusive relationships, the fairy tale turned into a grim one.

If it wasn’t for my friends, I wouldn’t have had the initial courage to leave both these relationships.

At that Edinburgh concert, my daughter pointed out that I no longer had to clap the way my ex-boyfriend had wanted me to.

And so, I clapped the way I liked to. 

Big loud handfuls of claps. 

And it felt good.


Photo 
© Paula Gilfillan. All Rights Reserved.



Comments

  1. Love it, I stifled my horrendous laugh for a couple of decades...divorced the bloke and let rip... that felt good. How many of us pressures our actions and natural exuberance to please others. Sad sad world. Good for you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment